Nourished Beginnings RecipeNourished Beginnings
August 20, 2020
Do you have fussy foodies and picky eaters at home?
At Kindercare, we believe it's important that children are set up for a healthy relationship with food for life. That is why we put a special emphasis on providing nutritious meals focused on whole foods, teaching children about good food values with enriching mealtime experiences.
In partnership with Nourished Beginnings, we bring you a hearty recipe that's sure to be a favourite with your whānau.
500g wholemeal pasta spirals
2 x 400g tin lentils (drained & rinsed)
1/2 onion, diced
250g mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup plain wholemeal flour
4 cups of milk
1/2 broccoli, finely chopped
1 cup frozen peas
150g cheddar cheese, grated
150g Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 tbsp dried dill
1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
2. Cook the pasta as per packet instructions, until just tender (don’t overcook the pasta as it will continue to cook in the oven).
3. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
4. Add the onion, garlic, lentils and mushrooms to the butter and cook for 10 minutes or until the mushrooms are golden.
5. Stir the peas and broccoli through the lentils.
6. Add the flour and stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes.
7. Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to boil. Cook for a few minutes then stir through half the cheddar cheese and the dill.
8. Divide the pasta among baking dishes and top with the lentil mixture (gently stir it through the pasta).
9. Top with the remaining cheese and place into the oven for 30 minutes or until golden.
When you enrol with us, you might just find your child's eating habits changed for the better.
Get in touch with us to make an enquiry.