Tomato chickpeas with quinoa rice ( Serves 4-6 )Nourished Beginnings
August 21, 2020
Kindercare is big on children having a positive relationship with real food and that mealtimes are an enriching and joyful experience.
This is one of the many nutritious meals we serve our tamariki, in partnership with Nourished Beginnings. Packed with veggies and lightly spiced for a flavour punch, our children love it!
This is a winter favourite and can be adapted to become vegan and dairy free if need be. Try it out this week!
1 cup brown rice
1/2 cup quinoa
1/2 onion, finely diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tbsp minced/grated ginger
1/4 tbsp cumin
1/2 tbsp garam masala
1/4 tbsp ground coriander
2 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained & rinsed
1 x 400g tin whole peeled tomatoes
1/2 cup vegetable stock
1/2 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 kg carrots, sliced
1/4 broccoli head, cut into florets
250g frozen beans ( we used peas )
1/4 cup natural yoghurt
1. Cook the quinoa and rice as per packet instructions.
2. Heat a large pot with a little olive oil and add the onion, garlic and ginger. Sauté for about 5 minutes over a medium-low heat until the onion is tender.
3. Add the cumin, coriander, garam masala and chickpeas. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and stock. Cover with a lid and bring to the boil.
4. Reduce to a simmer and cook for a further 15-20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, place the carrots, broccoli and beans on to steam.
6. Just before serving add the yoghurt to the tomato chickpeas and warm through. Serve with quinoa, rice and steamed vegetables.
Use vegetables that are in season and affordable. You can use a combination of frozen and fresh vegetables.
For a vegan or diary free option — replace the yogurt with coconut cream
Get in touch with us to make an enquiry.